Monday 15 April 2013

Boston

Last week, I made the fairly epic decision I would focus my training toward qualifying for Boston. I had finally been bitten by the Boston bug & decided to add it to my list of running goals.

After the tragic events today at the Boston Marathon, qualifying seems like such a bigger & more purposeful goal now. The bombings haven't deterred me from working towards doing this, they've catapulted my desire to train and accomplish this goal.

The news of today has really affected me, it's fairly akin to September 11th in that my brain isn't sure what to do. This is running: safe, happy, running.

The spectators- our cheerleaders- were the ones really affected. The parents supporting their kids, wives & husbands cheering on their significant other, friends catching a glimpse & snapping a photo as their running friends go by.

It does not make sense, why target dedicated, hard working athletes who are getting out there to celebrate their accomplishments in a sport they love? People lost feet, ankles, limbs today. Does not make sense.

1 comment: