Today was supposed to be my first marathon, and it started out that way..until I was directed down the wrong road, and then got very turned around, lost, and finally decided to pack it in.
During the race and the morning, I had thought I had made a wrong turn, but didn't really know how as things seemed fairly well marked and there were volunteers ushering runners everywhere. I saw later through the help of my Garmin, that I was directed to continue down a street and then turn, when I should have turned at that street. I continued running down the wrong street and ended up at a park, the route didn't show a park at that spot, and I could not figure out my way back onto the course and lost a ton of time, so I DNF'ed and called it a day.
Good Things About Today:
- I found out my water bottle holder is awful and will not use it again.
- Up until the point I got lost, I was having a blast!
- I was on pace and felt great
What I Learned About Today:
- Walk/drive/bike ride/etc. the route prior to running it if possible, or carry a more detailed map than the one I had.
- I choose the perfect clothes, even after agonizing about it and changing my mind several times!
- I WANT TO DO THE ENTIRE RACE AGAIN. But of course I cannot do that until next year, so next year I will get it right and it will rock!
Next Few Runs Are;
- StarBucks Run For Women 5K on 06/23/12
- Stampede Road Race Half - 07/08/2012
- Dinosaur Valley Half - 09/09/2012